Monday 26 September 2016

My Day On The River Fishing For Trout By Peter Hulbert.



26th September 2016


It has been quite an eventful month with the quickly approaching winter led in by autumn which has already arrived and whilst we have had an extended summer in the way of an Indian summer, the nights have quickly started to draw in and the temperatures are dropping rapidly in the early evening.

Sunday the 25th gave us a mild rise in temperature and is always a sign that the trout in the local river will feed so the urge to go fly fishing was too strong to turn down. I left my home at around 08.30am and arrived on the river at about 9.00am and was set up and casting my first fly. As it was early, I tried dried fly for a few hours until the sun was over head, but with very little success and quickly changed over to a sinking wet fly of which gave me instant success and a 3lb rainbow trout, a little too large to take home for lunch and as such, went on his merry way.





After this beauty went safely back to the river, he must have warned his friends as it all went very quiet and as such I moved up stream to another pool where once again after a lengthy period of finding the feeding depth and point of which the trout were laying out in order to ambush and potential food source. In the end and after about an hour, I started to get some bites and the end result was two plate sized 1lb rainbow trout for dinner.




I’m looking forward to my dinner today, these two beauties are fresh out of the river and are so tasty when they are wild trout and cooked to perfection, this brings to an end my day on the river which was so peaceful and quiet and ended with such a good result. It was a nice change from taking pictures and gave me something new to focus upon.